Testing this Posterous thing. Trying to decide if I like it or not. *waves*
Monthly Archives: November 2009
on the workbench: elka rhapsody 610
picked up an Elka Rhapsody 610 61-key string synthesizer for a bit more than I would have liked on CL over the weekend. seeing the unit in person, it became clear that most of the damage was physical, and that it’d probably been some teenager’s keyboard or a badly treated gigging unit. half of the slider caps were missing (with the stem sheared off at the control panel), the piano output didn’t work, the sliders worked backwards (bass sliders controlling the treble and vice versa), 60Hz hum, etc.
got the unit on the new basement workbench as an inaugural challenge. found the schematic online and buzzed things out. problems found:
- physical damage to unit cracked 3 capacitors on the piano/clav filter board, preventing the piano output from making its way to the sliders and output. replacing with modern equivalents restored the piano sound.
- someone not very skilled in soldering “went at” the cancel board and mixed up a lot of wires. easily fixed, though rather than replace the entire wiring harness i just reattached the wires and added some tape/shrink tubing.
- the card edge connector for the wiring harness/fader panel is cracked in half. tried the classic “2 zip ties” solution to hold it together but i think i’m going to have to replace the connector entirely.
- toronto’s supremetronics/home hardware on college just west of spadina had slider caps that fit, even if they’re in stark white.
it felt good to get this thing repaired in just a couple of hours, and with only about $1 CAD in parts.
plans before i decide if i’m reselling the device:
- replace hard wired power cord with IEC power socket, with integral fuse/fuse puller. ($2.50 CAD in parts)
- replace proprietary volume pedal connection with standard 1/4″ TRS jack, suitable for use with 10-kilohm volume pedal ($3 CAD in parts)
- fix remaining physical damage (snapped plastic standoffs for cancel board, slider faders, ink scratched into front panel where former impromptu teenage rebel marked his favourite slider settings – probably about $10 CAD in parts and epoxy)
- possibly fashion replacement legs out of welded metal tubing, plates and threaded rod (unknown cost, guessing $10-20 CAD)
if you readers out there particularly want to buy a rhapsody 610 for that jarre-TD-vangelis sound, comment here with your real email address and i’ll be in touch. have yet to decide if i want to sell; it sure sounds nice through a phaser pedal or a spring reverb.
recipe: chicken pot pie
after japan, i had a craving for north american food. so, with doozer’s help, i made chicken pot pie very similar to this recipe. differences: instead of cream, an oil/flour roux to thicken. no pearl onions on hand. lesueur canned petits pois instead of frozen. seasoning with dried cilantro and a dash of paprika instead of parsley. and i used her pie crust 102 recipe – no vodka, just butter, all by hand, took all of 5 minutes to prep, honest injun.
the results were outstanding, if a bit high on the fat scale. slightly over half an 8″ pie later, i’m stuffed…the rest will be a great lunch tomorrow. also, the little pastry biscuit was a delicious appetizer. suddenly, puff pastry seems achievable! oyster patties are in my future, i think.