- 300g never bleached flour
- 175g Demerara (dark brown) sugar
- Â½ cup unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 4 organic Ontario Spy apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1cm thick apple slices
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons Demerara (dark brown) sugar
- 4 tablespoons dried cherries
- 3 tablespoons dried cranberries
- 2 ounces / shots spiced rum (can’t go wrong with The Captain)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
Preheat oven to 350Â°F. In a small bowl place cherries, cranberries and rum. Microwave on high for 2 minutes.
Combine flour and 175g sugar. Add cubes of butter and rub in until mixture darkens and looks like dark bread crumbs.
In a 9 inch or similar round casserole, place apples, 4 tablespoons sugar, lemon juice. Mix. Add fruit/rum mixture, maple syrup and cinnamon. Mix. Don’t break up apple slices. Cover in flour/sugar mixture. Cover with glass lid or aluminum foil. Bake for 40-45 minutes. Eat hot for best results.